Saturday, November 5, 2011

Children, Adults, and a Child


Yesterday, I was blessed with the opportunism to join Brandon and Katie at one of the elementary schools where they were invited to talk about American Culture and teach the children some English. Brandon and Katie put together a really nice presentation about Halloween; complete with
candy, pumpkin shaped cookies, and a collage that each class contributed. Each class began by the three of us being introduced by to the children by the school's English teacher. Then Brandon would teach them a little about pumpkins and show them a Jack-o-lantern he made and brought. He would challenge the children to guess how many pumpkin seeds he had placed in a jar from the pumpkin. While the English teacher took the jar and a paper around to the class to have each student guess, Brandon would go through his slide show presentation and tell them about where we get pumpkins and about costumes and candy. The children were always awed by the picture of candy corn that looked just like the one here. Brandon was sure to explain that candy corn was called that not because it tasted like corn, but looked like corn. They were even more surprised by the photo Brandon showed them of a typical Halloween haul. He explained to them that after trick-or-treating you counted all your candy and tried to have more than your siblings. How true!
Next Brandon asked the children to do a craft. Each class got a different craft and they all went on our collage. The kids seemed to really enjoy this part and they all did a very good job! Ukrainian children are very skilled with coloured pencils and scissors. The crafts almost looked like they had been done by adults in many cases!
Then Brandon taught the children how to say 'Trick-or-Treat' and then we passed out candy followed by cookies! The kids thought this was the best part of the day. Finally, we'd say our goodbyes and then return to the English classroom where we'd rest between classes. We visited four different class, all were 3rd or 4th grade. It was so much fun to meet all the children and to see an Ukrainian school.

This evening, Cody and I were in charge of an English practice group that was all full of adults. It was quite a contrast from the previous day! We played 'hangman' first off. I lead this section and used the time to practice conversational questions. All the answers were questions like 'how are you?' and 'How is the weather?' and 'What is your favourite season?' and then after the answer was discovered we went around the circle and answered each question. At the end of the game, Cody pointed out to me that I had spelled favourite with a 'u' so I took the opportunity to explain how in British English that word and other words with the similar 'our' sound have the 'u' where American English leaves the'u' out. Ukrainians are often very interested in the difference between the two brands of English. I explained to them also that I tend to spell in the British manner because of the Canadian influences* in my life.
Following the game portion Cody had the group read through our text (Jonah 2) twice. The second time we cut the chapter into parts and after the reading of each the sections, we would look for words that the pupils did not understand and explain those words to them. The text was wonderful, and Cody did a good job leading the group through it.

After the lesson we all sat around for some time to talk. Often the students will turn to Russian, but we encourage them to speak in English both for the sake of practice and for the sake of understanding them. The hardest part about these groups for me is talking slow and clear enough for the Ukrainians to understand me. I am beginning to get better, but it's still difficult**. Lucy soon joined the group having finished teaching the children (her two boys and a little girl whose mother is in the adult group) the days of creation. We hope to soon begin a children's English group with the kids we know.
Since there were no other adults visiting with the children, I decided to sit in the living room with them and join their games. When I got there, I found that little Volia(the Ukrainian girl who is about 5 years old) was looking at one of the boys English books. I sat down next to her and asked her if she wanted me to read with her. She said she did, so we restarted the book and read through it. It was a pop up book with lots of animals, so we lifted all the flaps and pointed out all the animals. She seemed to really like that, and I enjoyed it to! I found that it's much easier for me to slow down my speech around children than it is around adults. I guess I'm just less nervous around them.
After reading the book, Canaan asked us to play Battleships with him. Volia agreed to play so I arranged that I would play on her team and that Canaan and Max would play against her. This way I could help her understand the game. We played for a few minutes, but she soon lost interest in such a boyish game (much to Canaan's dismay) and we put it away. She went home with her mother a couple minutes later, so there was no time for another game or book. She is really a very sweet child, and I hope to be able to work with her some more.

Godspeed



*Several people have commented to me that I often pronounce vowels with Canadian sounds too. It's probably because I spell them that way...
**I'm told that this is when my Canadian accent most noticeable! Something about have to slow down and concentrate on words makes it come out. However, nobody has a problem with it so I won't be spending any time exterminating it.

No comments:

Post a Comment