Saturday, May 12, 2012

Visa Trip: Day 2

Here is the account of my adventures on the second day of the Great Visa Trip.  
   I began the day by waking up early so that I could go out shopping for some breakfast, and then have time to eat it before Chapel. The store all open at 8 am, and chapel starts at 9 am, a perfect amount of time to fetch food and eat. I sat near Jay Don so that I could hear his translator during the lesson. Afterwards, the students had a little time to hang out, but they had a test in class that day so I sat in the dinning room with my computer instead of in class with them as usual. But it was a quick test so they had a lot of free time to hang out that morning. About lunchtime, I had to move my stuff into the classroom again because the visiting teacher made some borsht and they needed to set up. Eating lunch with all the students and faculty is like eating with a large family. Jokes were flying across the room and bowls and plates were passed back and forth as more soup and bread was asked for. Then it was back to class for everybody and I got moved into Masha's office because the dinning room is used for a woman's class after lunch. Masha was with the Harding choir in her home town of Gorlovka for most of the day, so the space was free. I spent the class hours learning some Italian, since I thought that would be a useful employment.
   After classes, the students were all very tired so I went and laid down in my room for a bit of a nap. Then I got a call from my friend Helena that she and some other students were going to make some miso soup for dinner and they invited me to go shopping and eat with them. I was very excited to do that! Afterwards, we hung out in Helena's room watching cartoons and playing with her "i-cat." I stayed up with them till midnight, but I had to retire then because I was very tired. 
   It was a pretty good day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment