Sunday, August 8, 2010

A Quick Post Before Bed.

Yes! We not only made it to Lubbock safely, but we all have internet now! We all seem pretty excited and I think a few of us might miss some sleep tonight...
My Grandmother, Alice Williams, drove me to AIM. Aunt Verna and Uncle Marv also drove with us. We stayed Friday night at a Super8 in Fort Sumner and then drove the last three hours in the morning. At the Hotel, I met a lady who had lived near Lubbock for some time. She advised me to get some boots because there would assuredly be snow in the Winter (I'm sure I'll regret this, but I'll say it any ways: Yay!) and that Lubbock was built in a grid pattern and would be easy to get around. Another guest of the hotel that I met was from Illinois and told me about a prairie dog preserve she and group(her husband, her sister and her sister's husband) and how she annoyed lizard by following it around a tree trying to get a picture of it. Also, the AC on the car quit right before Grandma picked me up, but thankfully it came back... 1 and a half hours from Lubbock. If you ever intend to drive from Arizona to Texas in the summer I suggest you ride in a car with reliable AC, otherwise your trip may be a little unpleasant.
Upon arriving in Lubbock we got a little lost, but I managed to remember the cross streets of the apartments and then get directions from one of the AIM Assistants. We then got to puzzle out how to go under the overpass and wind back up on 34th street(who designed this place!) When we finally made it to the Sunset building I was so nervous I brought the wrong papers in to registration and had to make an extra trip out to the car. Upon reaching the basement of the building, I immediately found myself passing my future suit mate, Sarah McCormick, in the hall way. I entered the room where we registered(I still don't know what this room is called yet, though I get the feeling I'll be spending a lot of time in there) and met Mr. and Mrs. Smith, the director and his wife/secretary. But before I could get registered Mr. Patrick Sheaffer, co-director, pulled me aside to go over some basic apartment rules with a couple other kids because he didn't to have to repeat them for each student. I then received my apartment key and registered.
The last two days have been spent getting to know my classmates and organizing the apartment that I share with the previously mention Sarah McCormick and my room mate Hannah Yeats. More to come, but I'm too tired now.
Godspeed.

1 comment:

  1. Exciting Dawna! I've been keeping an eye on your blog hoping for an update soon, so it's great to hear about how things are going so far. Can't wait to hear more. Write or Skype us anytime!
    We love you,
    Rob and Denyce

    ReplyDelete